Yoga 101 Quiz 🤓
𝕐𝕠𝕘𝕒 𝟙𝟘𝟙 ℚ𝕦𝕚𝕫 | 𝕋𝕖𝕤𝕥 𝕐𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕂𝕟𝕠𝕨𝕝𝕖𝕕𝕘𝕖 🤓
I just wrapped up a term of teaching power yoga at my old high school and at the beginning of the last class I gave my students a quick quiz on some basic yoga info we had covered during the term. I thought it would be super fun to share the quiz with you, have you take it and let me know how you did. Here it is - good luck!
Yoga 101 Quiz 📝
1. What part of the world is yoga from?
2. What is the language of yoga?
3. Is this language still alive?
4. Name the limb of yoga that means "breath control."
5. Name the primary type of breath control that is used in yoga classes and translate it into English. Give a quick description on the technique of this breath practice.
6. Name the limb of yoga that covers the physical practice of the postures.
7. What is the name of the last posture where you are lying still on your back? Translate it into English.
8. In most yoga classes the postures are paired with which other practice?
9. Translate the word "yoga" from its original language into English.
10. From this definition of the word "yoga," explain how the breath and posture practice relates back to and fulfills the definition.
Okay, nice work! I've got the answers listed below. Let me know how you did!
1. Southeast Asia; India
3. Not really, although it does get used a little.
5. Ujjayi Pranayama = Victorious Breathing. It is a nasal, diaphragmatic breath where the muscles in the back of the throat are engaged.
7. Savasana = Corpse Posture
8. Asana + Ujjayi Pranayama
9. To yoke; To join; Union
10. By taking control of our inhales and exhales we practice mindfulness: bringing the mind into the present moment. When we pair this with the physical postures we bring the mind into the experience of the body and create the mind-body connection!